Attempted murder and assault charges filed

Shane Kirby Williams

by April Scheinoha

Shane Kirby Williams, 32, has been charged with felony second degree attempted murder, felony second degree assault, felony domestic assault by strangulation and gross misdemeanor child endangerment, according to the complaint. He is accused of stabbing a female friend Sunday afternoon in Thief River Falls.

Williams allegedly stabbed the woman three times. She later underwent surgery for her injuries. Upon arriving at the scene, police observed a large pool of blood on the kitchen floor.

The woman’s 8-year-old niece and 10-year-old nephew told police that Williams had choked and stabbed the woman. The boy was eventually able to run to the neighbors’ home.

Williams was arrested after failing to comply with officers’ demands to put down the knife. A less lethal rifle and taser had to be used to gain compliance from Williams, who had blocked a bedroom door. A knife, covered in blood, was found nearby. Williams was also bleeding from his head.

Williams also had a “body-only” warrant out of New Mexico. There, he is accused of the offenses of assault against a peace officer and aggravated assault against a family member.

The Thief River Falls incident stemmed from a call Sunday at about 5:19 p.m. in the 500 block of Eighth St. W. When police arrived, Williams declined to comply with demands to exit without the knife. He said no one else was hurt inside the home. Police also heard him talking to his sister on the phone, saying he loved her and was “going to be going down.”
At one point, a sergeant and a police officer told Williams to put the knife down. Law enforcement then apparently used a 40-mm less lethal rifle. One officer then kicked in a bedroom door that was blocked by Williams, and a deputy was able to use a taser on Williams to subdue him.

In an interview with police the next day, the woman allegedly said she was lying on her bed when Williams grabbed her face and asked whether his feelings mattered. He then began choking her. The woman became lightheaded and recalled her nephew tried to pull Williams off of her. The woman was able to kick Williams off of her and tried to get off of the bed. She threw a phone to her nephew and told him to call police; however, Williams grabbed it. He then pushed the woman back onto the bed and began choking her again.
Williams then stabbed the woman twice in the left side. Her nephew screamed, and the woman told him to go to the neighbors’ home.

After the boy left, Williams allegedly grabbed the woman by her hair, hit her in the head and dragged her to the kitchen. He told her that he loved her and no one would love her like he would. He then stabbed her on her right side. Neighbors were able to get her and the children out of the home.

Upon reviewing text messages between Williams and the woman, police learned there was no romantic relationship between the two people. Williams had been living for two months with the woman in Thief River Falls. Text messages showed that Williams was helping the woman care for her young relatives.